|| 3.10 out of 5
How to Update Firmware and FPGA Images for the NI 292x and N2xx USRP
Primary Software Version:
Primary Software Fixed Version:
Modular Instruments>>RF Measurement Devices>>NI Software Defined Radio>>NI USRP-2920, Modular Instruments>>RF Measurement Devices>>NI Software Defined Radio>>NI USRP-2921, Modular Instruments>>RF Measurement Devices>>NI Software Defined Radio>>NI USRP-2922
I recently downloaded a new driver for my N2xx or NI 292x USRP. The driver uses a different FPGA image and different firmware than the previous driver I was using. How do I change the FPGA image and the firmware?
The firmware and FPGA images for the USRP N2xx and NI 292x devices are stored in the device internal memory. You can program the device over the network to update or change the firmware and FPGA images by using NI-USRP Configuration Utility and an Ethernet connection. This information is also listed in the Getting Started Guide NI USRP-2920/2921/2922
Related Links: NI USRP-292x Getting Started Guide
- Verify that the host Ethernet interface is configured as specified in section 5. Installing and Configuring the Hardware.
- Select Start»All Programs»National Instruments»NI-USRP»NI-USRP Configuration Utility to open the NI-USRP Configuration Utility.
- Select the N2xx/NI-292x Image Updater tab. The utility should automatically populate the Firmware Image and FPGA Image fields with the paths to the default firmware and FPGA image files. If you want to use different files, click the Browse button next to the file you want to change, and navigate to the file you want to use.
- The utility updates the firmware and FPGA images in a single operation. Verify that the firmware and FPGA image paths are entered correctly. The utility should appear similar to the figure below.
- Click the Find Devices button to scan for USRP devices and update the device list. If your device does not appear in the list, verify that the device is on and correctly connected to the computer. If your device still does not appear in the list, you can manually add the device to the list. Click the Manually Add Device button, enter the IP address of the device in the dialog box that displays, and click OK. The manually added device appears in the device list, similar to the figure below.
- Select the device to update from the device list, and verify that you selected the correct device.
- Verify that the version of the FPGA image file matches the board revision for the device you are updating. On Ettus devices, locate the board revision on a label on the back of the device.
- To update the device, click the WRITE IMAGES button.
- A confirmation dialog box displays. Confirm your selections, and click OK to continue.
- A progress bar indicates the status of the update.
- When the update completes, a dialog box prompts you to reset the device. A device reset applies the new images to the device. Click OK to reset the device. Note: The utility is unresponsive while it verifies that the device reset correctly
- Close the utility.
- Verify that the D LED is lit on the device front panel to confirm that the firmware and FPGA images loaded successfully.