|| 3.36 out of 5
Archived: Fujitsu Hard Disk Drive Diagnostic Tool for PXI and PXIe Embedded Controllers
This document has been archived and is no longer updated by National Instruments
My embedded controller with a Fujitsu hard drive is having a problem in booting up. What should I do?
You need to check to see if the issue is with the hard drive. NI provides a new version of Hard Drive Diagnostic Tool for Fujitsu and Seagate hard drives, having either English and non-English (localized) operating system environment, which will check the PXI/PXIe embedded controller for actual hard drive failures before you send it in for repair.
Please follow the steps below to run this utility.Creating a Bootable USB Diagnostic Disk for Fujitsu Hard Drive
- Insert a USB flash disk into one of your computer's USB slots.
- After the OS has finished identifying the USB drive, run the CreateNIUSBDiagDisk.exe application (see attachment).The application will detect all USB flash disks in the system and display them in a drop-down list.
- Select the USB flash disk you would like to make bootable using the drop-down list
- After selecting the appropriate disk, click the Make Bootable button. The application will format the USB flash disk with a bootable DOS image and HDD diagnostic application. A progress bar will indicate when the application is finished formatting the disk.
- Close the application by clicking Close. See Figure below.
The USB flash disk should now be bootable. You can use this disk to execute HDD diagnostics on a PXI or PXIe embedded controller.
Figure 1: HDD Diagnostics Application
Using the HDD Diagnostic Application
Follow these steps to run the HDD diagnostic application on a PXI/PXIe embedded controller:
PXI-8174 through PXI-8176, PXI-8184 through PXI-8187
- Insert a bootable USB flash disk (created with the application described above) in one of the USB slots on the PXI/PXIe embedded controller.
- Boot the PXI/PXIe system and enter the BIOS by pressing Delete as the controller boots to change the boot priority with the USB flash disk first:
PXI-8195, PXI-8196, PXIe-8103, PXI/PXIe-8105/6 and PXI-8108
- In the BIOS browse to the BOOT menu.
- Select Hard Drive from the list and press Enter.
- Place the USB device first on the list by using the <+> and <-> keys.
- Save and exit.
- In the BIOS, follow the steps above to place the USB HDD option before the IDE Hard Drive.
- The controller should now reboot and open the Fujitsu Hard Disk Drive Diagnostic Tool.
- Follow the instructions by pressing Space to continue and then Enter to agree the disclaimer.
- Select Primary Master hard drive from the list and follow the instructions. This will start a Quick Test.
- If the disk passes the Quick Test you will be prompted to continue a Comprehensive Test. Select Yes to start the Comprehensive Test of the drive.
- If the disk fails either test please contact National Instruments Support to return the embedded controller for repair. If the disk passes both tests try restoring the original operating system (OS) to resolve the problem. To recover the OS use one of the methods described in KnowledgeBase ID 2ZKC02OK: Hard Drive Recovery and OS Installation for PXI and VXI Controllers.
The PXI-8108 will require that the AHCI mode be disabled, this can be done through the BIOS. Without disabling this feature the Fujitsu HDD Diagnostic Tool will not detect drives correctly.KNOWN ISSUES
Some USB disks are not recognized by the BIOS and therefore you will not be able to boot from them even if you have made them bootable. If you cannot get your embedded controller to boot from the USB disk you have, try using a different USB disk.
Related Links: Knowledgebase 2ZKC02OK: Hard Drive Recovery and OS Installation for PXI and VXI Controllers
Knowledgebase 4CS1P11S: Seagate Hard Disk Drive Diagnostic Tool for PXI and PXIe Embedded Controllers
Attachments: Fujitsu Hard Drive Diagnostic Tool (V7).zip