|| 2.90 out of 5
Archived: How Can I Bundle the DevSuite DVDs into One Volume License Installer?
This document has been archived and is no longer updated by National Instruments
NI Volume License Manager
Primary Software Version:
Primary Software Fixed Version:
When creating a Volume License Installer in Volume License Manager 2.1.1, only DevSuite DVD 1 is copied to my server. How can I include the software packages found in the other DevSuite DVDs so that my clients do not have to insert DVDs?
This article is for NI Volume License Manager 2.1.1. For NI Volume License Manager 3.0 or later, please see this KnowledgeBase article
. Presently, NI Volume License Manager 2.1.1 will only bundle DevSuite DVD 1 into a Volume License Installer (VLI). DevSuite DVD 1 contains LabVIEW, LabVIEW toolkits and the necessary DevSuite setup files. Because LabVIEW and LabVIEW toolkits are bundled with the VLI by default, installing LabVIEW and its toolkits will not request for additional DVDs during the installation process. However, selecting any other software package in the DevSuite setup, such as CVI or TestStand, will require users to insert DVD 2 or DVD 3, respectively.
The following instructions detail how to add the software packages found in all the DevSuite DVDs to the Volume License Installer distribution.
Copying the desired software packages
Follow these steps to distribute software packages found in the other two DevSuite DVDs.
- Create a Volume License Installer (VLI). Note the location of this VLI.
- After creating the VLI, insert the DevSuite DVD containing the desired software package you would like to distribute with the VLI. For example, CVI 8.5.1 setup exists in <DVD2>\Distributions\CVI 8.5.1; therefore, you would insert DevSuite DVD 2. Cancel any setup windows that may appear after inserting the DVD.
- Locate the VLI folder created by NI Volume License Manager; hereunto referred as <VLI Location>. The VLI folder contains the _SourceFiles, nisuite.xml and license set folders (which contain the Client subfolder).
- Check the nisuite.xml on any Developer Suite DVD for <volumelabel> entries, similar to the following:
- Create a folder in your Volume License Installer Directory with the name specified in this key for each DVD you wish to add to the VLI. For example, if you are distributing CVI 8.5.1, you will create the folder for DVD 2 according to the previous step, since the CVI installer resides in DevSuite DVD 2 (with a folder name of DSQ309_DVD2 in this case).
NOTE: There is no need to create a folder for the first DVD, since DevSuite DVD 1 is copied automatically by VLM.
Copy the contents of the DevSuite DVD to the respective DSDVDx folder. For example, if you need to distribute the contents of DevSuite DVD 3, then copy the contents to DSDVD3. It is imperative to retain the exact directory structure from the DVD.
Copying the Device Drivers DVD (optional)
Follow these steps to bundle the Device Drivers DVD with your Volume License Installer.
To bundle the Device Drivers DVD with the VLI, you will need to copy the entire DVD. Note that the Device Drivers DVD is quite large.
- Insert the Device Drivers DVD
- Navigate to <VLI Location>
- Create the following folders in <VLI Location>
NOTE: Name the DCD-MonYr-x folders similarly to the DCD folder names found in the Device Drivers DVD. That is, use the first three letters of the release month and first two letters of the release year for the media.
- Copy everything in Device Drivers DVD to the DriverDVD folder in <VLI Location>, EXCEPT the folders prefixed with DCD. Essentially, setup.exe should now reside in the folder DriverDVD.
- Copy the DCD-prefixed folders in the Device Drivers DVD to <VLI Location>. Because the folders are named similarly to the folders created in <VLI Location>, choose to replace the folders in <VLI Location>.
Final Directory Structure
The picture below shows the expected directory structure after copying DevSuite DVD 2, DevSuite DVD 3 and Device Drivers DVD.
NOTE: The License Set folder represents a license set. This may be different depending on your license set configuration.
KnowledgeBase 6W2GOKLS: Adding the NI Device Driver DVD and Xilinx Compilation Tools DVD to a Volume License InstallerKnowledgeBase 471AHTQA: Creating a Volume License Installer in VLM