|| 4.63 out of 5
Unable to Edit VI When Set to Run When Opened and Toolbar is Disabled.
LabVIEW Development Systems>>LabVIEW Full Development System
Primary Software Version:
Primary Software Fixed Version:
I have saved a VI with the Run when opened
option checked. I also have a stop button that calls the
function and my toolbar is hidden. How do I edit this VI?
If the ability to abort execution is removed from a VI and it is set to Run when opened
, it may seem that there is no way to access the VI in edit mode if the program gets caught in an infinite loop or is using the
function. Fortunately there are several ways to gain access to the VI and turn off the Run when opened
property to allow execution to be aborted.
- If you know one of the subVIs being called by the main VI, you can edit this VI so that it is not executable (i.e. has a broken arrow). The next time the main VI is opened, it will not be able to run and will default to edit mode.
- While the VI is running, close the VI window. This will usually bring up a dialog asking you to save changes. Selecting Cancel will stop the VI and restore it in an editable mode.
- Make your VI into a subVI by dragging its icon onto the block diagram of a new blank VI. Double-click on the subVI and it will open but not run, allowing you to edit it.
- Run the VI, then use VI Server Methods to programmatically abort the VI. You can use the attached
open_and_abort.vi as a utility to do this. Simply enter the path to the VI you want to edit and it will be opened, run, then aborted so you can edit it.
- You can use VI Server to programmatically turn off the Run when opened setting and save the VI. This is shown in the VI Snippet attached:
Related Links: KnowledgeBase 2VQ7NVDF: Why Can't I Abort My LabVIEW VI?
Attachments: Turn Off Run When Opened.vi