VIs Improperly Display Text in Unicode
Primary Software Version: 8.5
Primary Software Fixed Version: N/A
Secondary Software: N/A
I have a VI that has switched to display some or all of the text in Unicode.
National Instruments has reports dating to LabVIEW 8.5 of VIs switching to display text in Unicode on rare occasions. This has been reported to LabVIEW R&D as CAR 185890. This could have happened after trying to build the VI into an application or after an improper shut down. We have tried to reproduce this issue with many applications to no avail. The actual problem is that the Display as Unicode flag has been set for each element on the front panel or block diagram. Many times the new language looks like Chinese but it isn't actually translated.
In LabVIEW 2011 we changed the behavior of Unicode so we can help users easily recover from this problem. Previous to LabVIEW 2011 if an item was set to display in Unicode it always would. In 2011 and later items will not display in Unicode unless the ini token (UseUnicode=True) is set in the LabVIEW Preferences file.
If you have a VI that has this problem you can save the VI to LabVIEW 2011. Without the token set, LabVIEW will default the Unicode flag to off on all items. Saving the VI saves this setting. After doing this you can save for previous version back down to the version that the code was corrupt in.
DeveloperZone Tutorial: LabVIEW 2011 Known Issues
Report Date: 12/14/2011
Last Updated: 12/14/2011
Document ID: 5SDCERWI