|| 3 out of 5
How Do I Create a Bootable USB Drive for My VXI Controller?
I want to create a bootable USB drive for my VXI controller. Can my VXI system boot from a USB and how do I set this up?
Solution: Ensure Controller Can Boot From USB Device
Starting with the VXIpc-870B series, it is possible to boot from a USB device. If you are unsure whether your controller supports booting from the USB port, please check your user manual. Required Components
- A VXI system that supports booting from the USB port
- A USB Storage Device that conforms to the USB Mass Storage Device Class
The following method will only work if your USB Device conforms to the USB Mass Storage Device Class. This method was tested using a Lexar Media JumpDrive Secure and a SanDisk Cruzer Mini. Create the Bootable Flash Drive
- Download the
Create Bootable USB KEY v1.2.1.zip from the Attachments section.
- Unzip the
Create Bootable USB KEY v1.2.1.zip and place it on your Desktop.
- Insert a USB flash disk into one of your computer's USB slots.
- Allow the OS to identify the USB Drive properly.
- Run the
- If using Windows Vista or Windows 7, you will need to run this program as an Administrator. To do this, right click on the executable, and choose Run As Administrator.
The application will detect all USB flash disks in the system and display them in a drop-down list. Select the USB flash disk you would like to make bootable using the drop-down list.
After selecting the appropriate disk, click the Make Bootable button. The application will format the USB flash disk with a bootable DOS image
FreeDOS. A progress bar will indicate when the application is finished formatting the disk.
Close the application by clicking Close.
The USB flash disk is now bootable.
If you would like to use this USB drive to update the BIOS of your controller, reference KnowledgeBase 2GIGKD0Z: Determining and Upgrading PXI and VXI Embedded Controller BIOS Versions
. Modify the Controller's BIOS Boot Order to Boot From the USB Drive
For detailed instructions on modifying device boot order, reference your VXI controller's user manual.
Related Links: KnowledgeBase 2IKA5RLS: Creating a Windows Boot Floppy for a PC or PXI/VXI ControllerKnowledgeBase 2GIGKD0Z: Determining and Upgrading PXI and VXI Embedded Controller BIOS Versions
Attachments: Create Bootable USB KEY v 1.2.1.zip
- Insert your USB key into your controller.
- Boot your controller and enter your BIOS by pressing the Delete key as the computer boots.
- Ensure that the Boot Option is set to Window/Other OS. If not, you will need to reboot the system after modifying and saving this setting.
- Navigate to the Boot Order menu and ensure your USB key is an enabled device and is listed above other devices.
- Navigate to the Legacy USB Support option usually located under Advanced » Integrated Peripherals, and ensure it is Enabled.
- Save the changes and exit the BIOS.
- Your controller will now boot from the USB device.