|| 3.12 out of 5
Unable to Import TDMS Files Created in LabVIEW or Newer Versions of SignalExpress into SignalExpress
Primary Software Version:
Primary Software Fixed Version:
LabVIEW Development Systems>>LabVIEW Professional Development System
I have created TDMS files in NI LabVIEW (using TDMS Write.vi
or Write to Measurement File.vi
) or a newer version of NI LabVIEW SignalExpress. However, when I select File»Import»Logged Signals from Signal Express TDMS Files
in LabVIEW SignalExpress, no waveforms are imported into the log panel. Only an item called New Group
is created (as shown below). How can I successfully import the TDMS file into SignalExpress?
This article refers to earlier versions of SignalExpress. For NI SignalExpress 2013, this is natively supported and you will be able to import TDMS files by going to File»Import»Logged Signals from Signal Express TDMS Files
Related Links: Drivers and Updates: LabVIEW SignalExpress - Run LabVIEW 8.2 VI Step Support KitKnowledgeBase 4A68RJ9S: Unable to View SignalExpress TDMS Files in LabVIEW KnowledgeBase 49884D84: LabVIEW SignalExpresss Save to ASCII/LVM Express VI Always Appends to File in While Loop KnowledgeBase 4IBDB909: Importing and Exporting Data in LabVIEW SignalExpress White Paper: TDMS 2.0 FAQ
You can add a Logged Signal from LabVIEW TDMS File
import option to LabVIEW SignalExpress. This option uses the attached
TDMS Conversion utility
to successfully import TDMS files created in LabVIEW or later versions of LabVIEW SignalExpress. Steps to install the
TDMS Conversion Utility
are listed below:Installation Instructions:
How to Use the TDMS Conversion Utility:
- Close LabVIEW SignalExpress.
- SignalExpress 2011 and greater: Install the Run LabVIEW 8.2 VI Step Support Kit to add support for the TDMS Conversion Utility.
- Download the attached
.zip file (
- Unzip the entire folder, then run the installer (
- In the Installer wizard, the Feature List will be empty. Click Next to continue the installation.
- Complete the installation and reopen LabVIEW SignalExpress.
- Select File»Import»Logged Signal from LabVIEW TDMS File
- In Source File Path, select your TDMS file.
- In Destination File Path, select a blank TDMS file.
- In the File Contents panel, select the signal you want to import (use the to select multiple signals in a group).
- (Optional) Change the Block Size, Number of samples, Increment, and Start time. Make sure to respect the guidelines for these settings.
- Click on Convert File.
- Repeat steps 1-6 for each set of items you want to import into SignalExpress
- Close the Import Signal Utility. You will now be able to see your imported signal in the LabVIEW SignalExpress log panel.
- Use this method to import TDMS files created by newer versions of LabVIEW SignalExpress (3.0, 2009 and later) into older versions of LabVIEW SignalExpress (2.5 and earlier)
- The tool supports both TDMS 1.0 and 2.0 format. Check the TDMS 2.0 FAQ for more details [Note: SignalExpress 2009 uses the TDMS 1.0 format for logging/recording data].
- It is best to create new files (Destination File Path) between each import/convert file operation. If not, you may run into either one of the following issues:
- Nothing happens after selecting Convert File .
- You get an error message saying,
The source file cannot be read. It may contain unsupported datatypes. If the source file is TDMS 2.0 file, you can also try to convert it to TDMS 1.0.
- You cannot import signals from different groups in a single operation.